Waiting periods explained
Switching to health.com.au?
If you’re switching to health.com.au from another health insurance company, we;ll honour all of the waiting periods that you have already served – so you won’t need to wait again. That said, if your health.com.au insurance covers something that you didn’t have before, you’ll still need to serve a waiting period for that specific item.
New to private health insurance or had a gap in cover?
If you’re getting health insurance for the first time, you’ll have to serve waiting periods before some benefits can be paid. The waiting periods for our policies are listed below. We’ve broken them up into Hospital cover waiting periods and Extras waiting periods, to make them simpler to understand.
Remember that you may not be covered for all the services listed. You can login to your cover at any time to see what services you’re covered for on your specific cover.
Hospital Waiting Periods
(Remember that hospital cover applies to in-patient services only, which is when you’re actually admitted to the hospital.)
- 1 day for treatment in hospital as a result of an accident (as defined by health.com.au)
- 2 Months for treatment in hospital as a result of a new condition
- 12 months for treatment in hospital as a result of a pre-existing condition and for pregnancy related services
Extras Waiting Periods
- 1 day for Ambulance Cover
- 2 month waiting period for General Extras
- 12 months for Major Dental including Endodontic work and Orthodontics
- 12 months for Health Appliances
If you have further questions or concerns about waiting periods, drop us a line and we can explain in further detail.